Prospective Tenant FAQs | Current Tenant FAQs

Prospective Tenant FAQs

What is required to rent a home? 
We require an application for each person over the age of 18 that is going to live in the home. Each person must fill out an application in full and sign the application. Each person is charged a $20.00 non-refundable credit check fee. We ask for a copy of a social security card, copy of a picture ID, and proof of income for two months.

What do you check when I apply for a home? 
We check all the information on the application including past rental history, employment, and your credit history. Yes, we run credit checks on every applicant. The credit check we process do not pull your credit score. We want to see that you pay your rent, your utilities, and no outstanding Superior Courts.

How long is the application process? 
We generally know if we can approve your application in 5-7 business days after all of the application requirements are met. To speed up this process, you can contact your current and prior landlords so they are ready for our call.  Applications are not processed on weekends or holidays.

Is the monthly rent negotiable?
Owners set the rental price and we do not have the authority to negotiate lower prices.  If a property has been on the rental market for an extended period of time, we will certainly convey your request to our owner.

Is the Security Deposit negotiable? 
No. The security deposit must be paid prior to taking possession.

Who sees my information? 
We do not share any information given to us with any other company or person.

Do you accept personal checks? 
Yes. However, we cannot accept personal checks for the credit check, deposit, or for the first month’s rent.  We also do not accept personal checks for the current rent after the 15th (fifteenth) of the month.

How do I view a property on your list?
If a property is listed as available now, you can come by our office to check out a key.  Please be prepared to give us a copy of a driver's license, $20.00 refundable deposit, current address, cell phone number, and thumb print.  We do not check out keys after 3:00 PM and all keys must be returned within two hours of checkout.  Properties not listed as available now cannot be viewed and have estimated availability dates listed on the top right side.
Click here for a current list of properties.

If I move-in mid-month, is that when I pay my rent each month? 
No. We charge a pro-rated rent for any move-in that occurs on a day other than the first of the month. Bringing the rent due date to the first of each month. These terms will be in your lease agreement and explained to you at signing.

Current Tenant FAQs

When is my Rent due? 
Rent is due on, or before, the 1st of every month by 5:00 PM. Rent is late on the 2nd of the month.  Current rent, paid in full, will be accepted without penalty until the 5th (fifth) of the current month at 5:00 PM. After the 5th (fifth) at 5:00 PM you will be charged a late fee. Rents can be dropped off through the mail slot on the left door.  If the 5th (fifth) falls on a weekend, or holiday, the box is checked and rents are pulled. Please pay with Personal Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check. (No Cash!)

Can rent be mailed?
Yes, but the rent envelope must be post-marked by the 3rd (third) of the month. If post-marked the 4th (fourth), or later, and received after the 5th (fifth) a late fee will be charged. Please make sure your rental address is on the payment.

What happens if my rent is late?
When your payment is past your grace period you will receive a 3-Day notice to pay rent or quit which is the first step in the eviction process. Whenever you are late past the grace period you will be charged late fees per your contract. However, anytime you are going to be late on the rent we encourage you to call our office or email us so that we can make the owner aware.  If you are communicating with us sometimes the owner will decide to hold off on posting the 3-Day notice to pay rent or quit.  Based on your history and communication each situation is evaluated and the owners make the final decision.

Can late fees be waived? 
Typically, we do not waive late fees.

I mailed my rent payment before the due date.  Why am I still being charged a late fee? 
Rent payments must be posted by the 3rd (third) to be considered on time.  Any payments mailed after the 3rd (third) and received after the 5th (fifth) are late.  If you do not think this applies, please call the office for further assistance.

I delivered my rent payment to your office over the weekend/after hours.  Why am I still being charged a late fee? 
Rent must be paid before the 5th (fifth) at 5 PM to be on time.  There must be no prior balance on your account, or you can be charged a late fee.

What happens if my check is returned/bounces? 
You are responsible for the bank’s Non-sufficient Funds (NSF) service charge of $25.00 for each occurrence. You must replace the bounced check with a Cashier’s Check or Money Order. We will not attempt to redeposit the check. If funds are made good before the 5th (fifth) there is no late fee. If funds are made good after the 5th (fifth) a late fee will also apply. If a check bounces a 2nd time, your account will be placed on certified funds for a year and we will no longer accept personal checks.

I want to add a room-mate to my current lease. What do I do? 
Your room-mate will be required to have their full application, credit check run, and be approved by management. They will be screened just like you were screened. If your room-mate is going to share financial responsibility in any way, they will be required to sign the lease/rental agreement. If your room-mate will not share financial responsibility in any way, they will be added to the contract as an additional occupant.

I want to remove a room-mate from my current lease. What do I do?
Removing a room-mate who shares financial responsibility may be a breach of your lease as it changes your qualifications. We look at these situations on a case by case basis and will need to re-evaluate your financial situation to see if you qualify for the payment without your room-mates financial contribution. You would need to submit a request to our office in writing along with any financial compensating factors you would like us to review. If we agree to remove the room-mate the lease would need to be modified in writing.

What do I do if someone moves in/moves out of my home?
If anyone moves out of your home that is listed on the rental contract or if anyone moves into your home that was not listed on the rental contract you must contact Mid-Valley Property Management immediately. Please call us at (559) 684-9094.

I want to add a new pet.  What is the process?
If you live in a pet approved property, we would screen your pet.  Upon approval, there may be a required deposit and a monthly pet rent may apply.

I no longer have my pet.  What is the process? 
Please let us know that you no longer have a pet.  All pet deposits are returned when you move out.

Are visiting pets allowed at the property?
No!  This is for insurance purposes.  Also, no “babysitting” pets is allowed.

Who do I contact for repairs?  
During regular business hours please contact our office 559-684-9094.  After hours please leave a phone message, or email, or fax the request.
If it is an emergency please call our emergency number on your contract.
What do I do if my smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector is not working?
Replace the battery immediately. If replacing the battery does not work, call our office. We will make sure a working unit is installed.

What if I want to paint?
Please call us. A few owners will let tenants paint, but most prefer tenants not to paint. We will forward your requested paint colors to the owner for review.

How do I let you know I am moving?
You need to fill out a Notice of Intent to Vacate. This form is available on this website and has instructions included. Please click here to download the form.  This form is also available at our office.  We require a minimum 30-day written notice.

My lease is not up but I need to move.  What is the process?
Your lease contains a breach of contract; early termination clause which states that the tenant is responsible for lost rents, rental commissions, advertising expenses and painting costs necessary to ready premises or re-rental and Landlord may withhold any such amounts from security deposit.  The process would be that you would need to give us notice (30-days or more) using the form provided on our website.  You are still entitled to a pre-move out walk-through.  We can discuss with you any costs associated with early termination of your contract on a case by case basis.

What is the process to get a lease extended?
If you decide you want to renew the lease, we will handle the paperwork much like when you leased originally with the contracts and addendums updated. Lease renewals are handled by appointment only and interior inspections are required. Please contact us to set up the appointment.

I am moving out and I have turned in my 30-day notice. How do I get my deposit back?
If all rent is paid and you have no outstanding fees or charges, then you must make sure that any damages are repaired, and your unit is clean before returning the keys. If you have a specific question, please call us. We have 21 days to return your deposit to you. Please refer to "Move-out Cleaning Check List" for more information.

I received a notice of property inspection. What does that mean to me?
Inspections of the inside of your home can be done every 3 months, 6 months, or annually. We do these inspections to make sure the properties we rent are well maintained. The notice you received should have given you at least 24 hours advance notice. If for some reason you did not get the full 24 hours’ notice call us so that we can reschedule your appointment. You do not have to be present at the time of the inspection.

I lost my keys and can't get into my unit. What should I do? 
You can call a locksmith at your own expense or can call the office during business hours to pick up a spare key. After normal business hours, charges will apply.

Someone broke into my unit or car. What steps should I take? 
First, make a police report; Second, contact the office to report any damages to the building; Third, call your renters' insurance policy and file your claim; Fourth, Provide a copy of the police report to the office.

What is considered an emergency? 
An emergency is defined as a maintenance problem that will cause a safety hazard to residents, or an imminent damage to the property, so that fixing it cannot wait until the next business day. Examples would be a broken pipe, a sewage back up, or a power outage. If there is a power outage, first call the electric company to see if there is a general power outage in the area. If there is a gas leak, first call the gas company. If you have a true emergency, contact Mid-Valley Property Management who will contact an emergency vendor.

P.O. Box 1298 · 250 N. M Street · Tulare, CA 93274
Phone: (559) 684-9094 · Fax: (559) 684-9096
DRE LIC # 00467055